It’s that time of year when my writing and exercising suffers because I’m busy making costumes for our family. My early-morning free time before work inevitably becomes a cloud of material, polyfoam, thread, and snippits of sequins, fur, and other glitzy or scaly parts. I love it!
This year, I am making a Winnie the Pooh costume for Mac Attack. Next year, he may be too old to want to be Pooh, so I’m taking advantage of his love for the “hunny” grubbing, lovable bear this year. That post, when and if I finish, will be posted in the next few weeks. (It’s proving a bit of a challenge as I am a novice seamstress, at best!)
Last year, when my son was 6 months old, I brought home a copy of a children’s classic: “Where the Wild Things Are,” by Maurice Sendak. It was my souvenir for him from my anniversary trip with my husband to New Orleans, and my visit to The Faulkner House. Mac Attack fell in love with the story! So, naturally, I thought it would be super fun to do characters from the book for Halloween.
I am often overly-ambitious and can be a bit obsessive once I’m involved in a project. I love a challenge! So, I found two amazing sources on the internet that I used to create our costumes. The first was a fabulous blog “Tell, Love and Party” on how to make the Max wolf costume you’ll find here, and linked into her blog about her costuming experience was a great instructional YouTube video you’ll find here. I am no seamstress and have never followed a pattern and this video was a treasure to find!
So, not only did I make the costumes, I decided to make the wild thing head pieces. I found instructions on Instructables.com, here. There are many options to choose from using paper mache, poster board, to paper plates. I liked this because it seemed it wouldn’t be quite so heavy as paper mache, and it would still have the big bobble-head look. 🙂
My husband wins the “Hubby-Daddy of the Year” award for rocking his Wild Thing costume! Especially since I ran out of time to make his shirt and didn’t paint on the orange stripes, but used duct tape, instead. In a colder climate, that would’ve been fine. Not in North Florida on a hot Halloween! With the polyfoam wild things head pieces in 70 degree weather, we were a hot mess. Literally. But it was fun!
If you are silly like me and want to do extensive head pieces and costumes, I recommend starting in late August, especially if you work full time, like I do. I didn’t get to finish all the claws or my costume, completely (layered feather leg look in “Tell, Love and Party” blog). Also, I didn’t finish all the hair on my wild thing, nor did I finish the beard part of my husband’s costume. Mac Attack didn’t keep his hood on because it was too hot. I used a lighter-weight fleece, and it was okay for a short period. I’d use a lightweight jersey or cotton material here in Florida, next time. I will resurrect these in another year or two, remake the Max costume, and add finishing touches to the monsters.
So, Happy Halloween! “Let the wild rumpus start.” 🙂